A trans is a conceptual laboratory for creative people and a platform for communication about contemporary art, architecture, urbanism and related culture with the focus on the city, space and architecture. With determination in the search for allies and like minded individuals, architect and curator Isolde Nagel designes a program for those who value artistic architectonic visions and attentiveness to social questions. Under one year s urban-oriented motto, international collaborators are invited to conceptualize and realize projects that reach beyond individual disciplinary boundaries. A trans promotes participatory projects in public spaces and fosters the dialogue between individuals and groups who are preoccupied with issues related to art and architecture, as well as collaborations with institutions, universities, embassies, publishers an sponsors that pursue similar objectives.
The installations and interventions go along with the investigation of cultural paradigms, contemporary lifestyles, and new experimental tendencies that impact urban practices and identities. The process is accompanied by Happy Talks, performances, happenings, music and book releases, discurses and Happy Walks.
From 2006 — 2011, the A trans Pavilion located in the Hackesche Hoefe, Berlin-Mitte was the point of departure and stable reference for all exhibition concepts which were also well-regarded from outside Berlin. A trans exhibition series at A trans Pavilion Hackesche Hoefe Berlin was sucessfully brought to an end in 2011. Over 30 exhibitions by international contributors were realized in the following series: 2006 A transparenc(it)y, 2007 A synchroni-city, 2008 An intima(cit)y, 2009 A simpli-city, 2010 A holi-city, 2011 A serendipi(ci)ty.
From 2012 on, A trans was on the move and popped up as A trans On Tour at many places and in different formats, also internationally. The series were A Maker City (2012), A Big Bang City (2013). With the series A Random City (2014) and A Recipro-city (2015) and A Private City (2016) A TRANS has been running a project space in Berlin-Moabit from 2014-2016. Since 2017 A TRANS is again running a nomadic platform with the series A Neo City (2017), A Radical City (2018), A Minimal City (2019), A Femmes City (2020) and An Iconic City (2021), currently located in Berlin at Vitrine U-Kleistpark (U7).
In 2016 A TRANS received the ‚Award Berlin Project Spaces and -initiatives‘ by the Berlin Senate Chancellary-Cultural Affairs.
CV Isolde Nagel (*1960 architect, curator)
- since 2020 active in the Coalition of Independent Art Berlin (Sprecher*innenkreis)
- since 2011 active in the Network of Berlin Independant Project Spaces and Initiatives
- 2008- 2020 Member of the Advisory Board for Art in Public of the City Potsdam
- in 2006 founded A trans
- 2003-2005 working as a curator at AedesBerlin-International Forum for Contemporary Architecture, Berlin
- 2001-2003 curated projektraum studio 63, Work and Exhibition Space for Installations, Berlin
- 1999-2000 Lecturer at the Technical University of Cottbus,
Faculty Architecture, Civil Engeneering and Urban planning / Chair of Architectural Graph
- 1995-2002 Assistant professor at the Bauhaus-University Weimar, Faculty of Architecture / Chair of Urban Planning
- since 1991 working as a (free-lanced) architect
- 1991 diploma
- 1985-1991 studied architecture and urban planning at Technical University Stuttgart and University of Art Berlin